THE TOWNSHIP OF BRIDGEWATER
100 COMMONS WAY / BRIDGEWATER, N.J. 08807
908/725-6300 / FAX # 908/725-3365
Position: SCHOOL CROSSING GUARD
Posting Date: 10/07/2020
Closing Date: Continuous
Reports To: Police Department Traffic Division
Job Type: Part-time during school year
Hourly Pay Rate: $15.00
Work Week/Hours: Monday through Friday during school year. Work hours vary based on assigned location. For example, an assigned location may require an individual to work from 7:15 am to 8:45 am & 2:30 pm to 4:00 pm. Work hours are adjusted during half-days of school, delayed openings & early closings
Under the direction of the Traffic Division of the Bridgewater Township Police Department, this position is responsible for safeguarding school children walking across busy intersections on their way to and from school.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
- Direct street traffic at school crosswalks
- Provide safe crossing of school children
- Slow down fast moving traffic
- Handle a variety of possible emergencies, such as accidents
- Perform other related work as required
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must be in good health and of great moral character.
- Knowledge of proper procedures for directing traffic.
- Ability to handle traffic conditions promptly, tactfully and impartially.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to clearly observe vehicle and pedestrian traffic at acceptable distances and to hear at an acceptable level.
- Ability to display good judgment and respond quickly in emergencies.
- Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision.
- Ability to maintain discipline with school children.
- Ability to work in various weather conditions.
- Must possess a valid N.J. State driver’s license and/or reliable transportation.
- Physical Requirements: Must be capable of standing for 1.5 hours at a time and must be able to lift and hold in position a stop sign weighing approximately one (1) pound, while holding the opposite hand in an upright, raised position.
- Authorization to Work: US citizenship is not required. Selected candidate must be authorized to work in the US according to Department of Homeland Security, US Citizenship and Immigration Services regulations.
- Residency Law: Pursuant to N.J.S.A. 52:14-7 (L. 2011, Chapter 70), also known as the "New Jersey First Act," all persons newly hired must establish, and then maintain, principal residence in the State of New Jersey.
HOW TO APPLY
All applicants are required to fully complete and sign an employment application. The employment application is available online. To apply, submit a resume and fully completed and signed employment application to firstname.lastname@example.org
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
View Posting on Bridgewaternj.gov
View Additional Bridgewaternj.gov opportunties