Members of the B-R Community,
The first stage of our trip has been an adventure, but we are leveling off in Week 3 of Distance Learning. We know that this has been different (and likely difficult) for everyone. Each home is unique. What works for some does not work for others. Because this transition has impacted everyone differently, we are closing Marking Period 3 with as much support to individual students and families as possible. At the start of this process, access to technology and the internet were not equitable, schedules at home did not exist, this was new for everyone. While work that could not be completed due to the circumstances was not being used against students, completed assignments helped.
We appreciate your flexibility and are listening to your feedback. While Marking Period 3 is ending, we are preparing for Marking Period 4, which will return to a more consistent process of instruction and assessment. It will certainly look different from marking periods in the past, but it will move instruction forward and provide a clear approach to grading.
We transitioned to this platform. Now we will transition within it. More detailed information will be shared before we leave for break and the week of April 14 will be used to reintroduce everyone to the online platform and set the stage for the rest of the year.
I want to thank our staff. As all of us, they are dealing with the realities of COVID-19. They are working from home with all that entails. They are maintaining their homes and caring for family members. And, they are working to keep our students safe and learning.
The same thanks goes to every family in our B-R community. You are dealing with this reality in your homes and you are finding ways to work with our staff to keep your students learning. This is a new reality. We have to focus on all that we are doing, not what we are not. Our system is not perfect, but we have to focus on the successes and build from there.
There is much discussion about our return to our buildings. We will continue to follow the governor’s guidance. As a reminder, this means:
- School facilities will remain closed and all activities are canceled or postponed.
- This week will be a full week of Distance Learning.
- April 3, 2020 will be the last day of Marking Period 3.
- Grading in Student and Parent Portals through PowerSchool will be closed. This is standard practice for transition of marking periods. They will reopen after April 24, 2020.
- There will be no Distance Learning from April 6 through April 13, 2020 for Spring Break.
- Our online platform will be open for families to use during this time. Teachers will not be updating lessons or responding to email over the break, but class resources will remain available for families to access. Students and families do not have to send in attendance over the break.
- April 14 through April 17, 2020 will begin Marking Period 4. The entire week will be Distance Learning Days.
Information beyond that will be contingent on orders from the governor and the NJDOE. We continue to follow their guidance and support all efforts to curb this pandemic. Thank you for all you are doing at home to manage distance learning, and thank you for protecting yourselves, your family members, and our larger community by staying home, practicing social distancing when out, and self-monitoring.
Reminders for the week:
- We are in this together. Do your best and follow your teachers.
- All resources can be found on our Distance Learning webpage.
- Attendance must be submitted each day by 10 a.m. with our Attendance Form.
- Remember to log in to Chrome as each student.
- For Tech Support, email: DLDtech@brrsd.k12.nj.us.
12 days in. Here’s to lucky 13.
Superintendent of Schools