At tonight’s Board meeting we honored 108 students who earned the State of New Jersey’s Seal of Biliteracy demonstrating proficiency in English and at least one of our World Languages. Some of our World Languages teachers participated in the presentation to honor their students. We also honored Dr. Michael Russell, who was selected as the VFW’s National Middle Grades Teacher of the Year. Dr. Russell joined us at our meeting, and you can view his remarks as well as the student presentation on the Board website at BOE LIVE.
As we know, the governor has closed buildings through the end of this school year. We will remain under distance learning and as such have been planning both on how to close out the year and how to best prepare for an unknown September. Our principals are working together to ensure consistency and equity in our approach. Communications will be coming out over the coming weeks from principals to students and families with specifics that relate to each building.
At the middle and high school, our administrators have been working for weeks on how we can celebrate our transitioning and graduating students. The guidance from the state continues to change, but we are at a point where each building, working with teachers, students, and parent groups are finalizing initial plans for our end-of-year celebrations. Ms. Steffner at the middle school and Dr. Ezell at the high school will send out full updates later this week. We will do everything we can to honor the hard work and achievement of our students. The communications will layout first and foremost how we keep everyone safe. Second, they will share all we have planned for the end of this school year. Finally, they will share the ongoing conversations we are having to see what can be done beyond June to allow our graduates to celebrate together.
In speaking with students and reading their emails, the number one thing that resonates from all of them is the desire to be with their friends. They have expressed to us that it is being together that is most important, so we are pursuing every avenue to make that happen so long as safety comes first. We are excited to share our plans and will keep the conversations going from now through the end of this school year.
Hearing from our community is critical, and as such, surveys will open tomorrow; one for staff, one for parents, and one specifically for students grades 5-12. They will be sent directly through the emails we have on file. Please take the time to give us your feedback. Not only will this inform what is happening now, but it will also be used as we continue to plan for what will come beyond this school year. Please look for these surveys and share your insights.
We know that you are doing all you can to help your students participate and to ensure they submit their work. Please continue to share your questions and your concerns directly with your teachers. Remember that you can check PowerSchool regularly, here. If you have technology needs, you can email for help, here. If you need any other support, visit our Distance Learning page, here.
We hope that you are safe and well at home. We are and will continue to be here with you.
Please continue to make healthy decisions and reach out if you need anything.
- All school facilities and grounds remain closed to the public. Please do not use any outdoor equipment, including playground elements, at this time.
- The academic calendar will remain the same for the rest of this school year. This includes our give back days. Barring emergent events, May 27 and June 5 will become days off from DL.
- The district continues to deliver food to qualified families. If your financial situation has changed due to this crisis, please let us know by going to our website here (Select Free and Reduced Lunch).
- Pay careful attention to yourselves and your family members. Resources for support can be found on our Distance Learning webpage.
- Attendance must be submitted each day by 10 a.m. with our Attendance Form.
- Remember to log in to Chrome as each student
- For Tech Support, email: DLDtech@brrsd.k12.nj.us
Superintendent of Schools